Fact of Life #2: That person who made you miserable last year can be surprisingly human. Who knew?
Once upon a time, there was a very mean girl. Let's call her Danny Devito. She made snide, vicious comments from across the room and teased my innocent disposition. I could not understand for the life of me how she could make all of these accusations about me when she barely spoke more than five pleasant words to me. I couldn't say anything in class without her telling me to shut up. It was infuriating!
Well, the year continued on this pathway and I could not have been happier for summer break to roll around. Who could ask for more? Three months spend bonding with the people who knew you best of all. I worked, played, shopped with my BFFLs, read, etc.
Then that magical time of year came around when all the boys and girls go back to school for 180 days of education. I was so hoping that I wouldn't have any classes with Danny Devito, but that would have made my life far too easy. So, multiple classes with Danny it was. I was not a happy camper to say the least.
Having flashbacks of the previous year, I was expecting the first comment out of her mouth to be something along the lines of, "Shut up." To my surprise, it was, "Hey, Jess." Shocked, and a tad confused I think all I uttered was a, "Hello..."
The most surprising happened just today. Partnered together for a class activity, we actually connected on a heart to heart level. I realized that maybe her past anger were due to ignorance of who I was and it wasn't like I took anytime to understand the science behind her angry demeanor.
I'm not saying we'll be best friends anytime soon, but I can be at peace with the fact that Danny and I are on good terms.
No comments:
Post a Comment